There are certain steps to take to examine your breasts by yourself in order to detect cancer early. These are some of those steps.
It is advisable to do breast self-examination regularly so as to detect cancer early to be treated successful. While no single test can detect breast cancer early, doctors advise doing breast self examinations with other screenings to reduce the chances of breast cancer.
Here is how to do breast self-examination:
1. Start by looking at your breasts in the mirror with shoulders straight and arms on your hips.
Look out for the size, colour and shape of the breasts. If they are unevenly shaped, distorted or swollen, visit your doctor. Also, a nipple that has changed position that is red sore or has rashes needs medical attention.
2. Raise your arms and look out for the same changes.
3. While looking at the mirror, look for any signs of fluid(watery, milky, yellowish or bloody) coming out of one or both nipples
4. Feel your breasts while lying down. Use your right-hand to feel the left breast and vice versa. Use a firm, smooth touch with the first few finger pads of your hand. Keep the fingers flat and together. Use a circular motion, about the size of a quarter.
Cover the entire breasts from the to bottom, side to side, also from your collarbone to the top of your abdomen, and from armpit to your cleavage.
5. Finally, feel your breasts while you are standing or sitting. Many women find that the breasts is when their skins are wet and slippery so they have a bath. Cover your entire breasts, using the same hand movements described in 4.